The Fattoria at Castello di Spannocchia
The Fattoria at Castello di Spannocchia is the original farm dwelling on the property. Built by the Spannocchi family and expanded and renovated several times between 1300 and 1600, and then purchased by the Cinelli family in 1925, the Fattoria offers large and simply decorated rooms – many with recently restored historic and decorative painting. Seven rooms sharing 4 baths with showers are available on a nightly basis, and 1 triple room has a private bath with shower. Breakfast including many organic products from Spannocchia’s farm, is included in the price. Each room has a view of the Fattoria courtyard, where much of the activity at Spannocchia takes place – the cantina, the pizza oven, the woodworking shop, the archeology museum, the Spannocchia shop and guest office, and the farm office are all located there. Guests in the Fattoria and Villa have access to a number of shared spaces in the Castello building. The Fattoria common room has a large fireplace and the Villa terrace offers sweeping views of the Spannocchia property and is the gathering site for our daily gathering of guests, residents, and interns, to have a glass of wine and watch the sunset before dinner. A traditional herb garden is located in the back courtyard where dinner is served outside in the summer months, and a section of the garden, called the “Giardino Segreto” (Secret Garden), is currently being restored for use as an outdoor education site for guests and day visitors to learn more about the flora and fauna of Spannocchia. There is a common kitchen, with space for storing snacks and basic kitchen amenities for preparing meals when not out exploring the Tuscan countryside. A telephone and a shared computer are available for guest communication needs. The Villa and the Fattoria are open for guest visits from March 1 – December 1.